USAA car insurance is a type of auto insurance that is exclusively available to current and former US military personnel and their families. USAA offers a range of coverage options, discounts, and benefits for its members, as well as exceptional service and claims handling. However, USAA car insurance also has some drawbacks, such as limited eligibility and availability.
This article will provide a comprehensive guide to USAA car insurance, covering its coverage options, rates, benefits, and how to get it.
USAA Car Insurance Coverage Options
USAA car insurance covers passenger vehicles, such as cars and pickup trucks. It also provides protection for other types of vehicles, such as motorcycles, ATVs, classic cars, and campers, through its agency alliances. USAA car insurance offers the following coverage options:
- Comprehensive coverage: This helps pay for damages to your vehicle from incidents that are not related to driving, such as fire, theft, vandalism, hail, or hitting an animal. You can choose your deductible amount, which is the out-of-pocket cost you pay before your coverage kicks in.
- Collision coverage: This helps pay for damages to your vehicle from accidents related to driving, such as collisions with stationary objects or other vehicles. You can also choose your deductible amount for this coverage.
- Liability coverage: This helps pay for the medical expenses and property damage of other people if you cause an accident. Liability coverage is required by most states and some lenders. USAA car insurance offers both bodily injury liability and property damage liability coverage.
- Uninsured and underinsured driver coverage: This helps pay for your medical expenses and property damage if you are involved in an accident with a driver who has no insurance or not enough insurance. This coverage is optional in some states and required in others.
- Insurance riders: These are additional coverages that you can add to your policy for extra protection. Some of the insurance riders that USAA car insurance offers are personal injury protection (PIP), which helps pay for your medical expenses and lost income regardless of who is at fault; roadside assistance, which helps pay for towing and emergency services if your vehicle breaks down; rental reimbursement, which helps pay for a rental car if your vehicle is in the shop due to a covered loss; and accident forgiveness, which prevents your rates from increasing after your first at-fault accident.
Benefits and Drawbacks of USAA Car Insurance
USAA car insurance has many benefits and drawbacks that you should consider before choosing it as your auto insurer. Here are some of the pros and cons of USAA car insurance:
Pros of USAA Car Insurance
- Competitive rates: USAA car insurance has been named the cheapest car insurance company in the country by U.S. News & World Report for the past three years. A survey showed that USAA members saved an average of $725 per year when they switched to USAA car insurance.
- Exceptional service and claims: USAA car insurance has a reputation for providing excellent customer service and claims handling. USAA is available 24/7 online for policy updates and claims through its website and mobile app. USAA also has a high customer satisfaction rating from J.D. Power and Consumer Reports.
- USAA PerksTM: USAA car insurance members can enjoy discounts on car maintenance, travel, home solutions, online shopping, health and wellness, entertainment, and more through the USAA Perks program.
- Membership benefits: USAA car insurance members can also access other financial products and services from USAA, such as banking, investing, retirement planning, home insurance, life insurance, and more. USAA also offers financial advice and education for its members.
Cons of USAA Car Insurance
- Limited eligibility: USAA car insurance is only available to current and former US military personnel and their families. This means that civilians cannot join USAA or get its car insurance. To be eligible for USAA membership, you must be one of the following: an active duty or retired military member; a former military member who separated honorably; a cadet or midshipman at a U.S. service academy; an officer candidate in a commissioning program; or a spouse or child of a current or former military member or eligible member.
- Limited availability: USAA car insurance is not available in all states or countries. Some states may have different coverage options or requirements than others. Some countries may not allow USAA to operate or offer its products. You should check with USAA before moving or traveling to ensure that you have adequate coverage wherever you go.
USAA Car Insurance Discounts
USAA car insurance offers various discounts that can help you lower your premium and save money. Some of the discounts that USAA car insurance offers are:
- SafePilotTM program: This is a safe driving program that uses a mobile app to track your driving habits, such as speed, braking, and phone usage. If you live in an eligible state, you can save up to 30% on your premium by enrolling in the SafePilot program and driving safely.
- Military member discounts: USAA car insurance offers discounts for military members and their families, such as a 15% discount for garaging your car on base, a 60% discount for storing your car while deployed, and a 4% discount for having a policy for at least three years with USAA.
- Bundling discounts: USAA car insurance offers discounts for bundling your auto policy with other policies, such as home, renters, or life insurance. You can save up to 10% on your auto premium by bundling your policies with USAA.
- Good student discounts: USAA car insurance offers discounts for teen drivers who maintain good grades in school. You can save up to 10% on your premium if your teen driver has a B average or higher.
- Automatic payment discounts: USAA car insurance offers discounts for setting up automatic payments for your premium. You can save up to 3% on your premium by choosing this option.
How to Get USAA Car Insurance?
If you are interested in getting USAA car insurance, you need to meet the eligibility requirements, apply for USAA membership, and get a quote for your policy. Here are the steps to get USAA car insurance:
As mentioned earlier, USAA car insurance is only available to current and former US military personnel and their families. You need to provide proof of your military affiliation or relationship to an eligible member when you apply for USAA membership. You also need to have a valid driver’s license and a vehicle that meets the state and lender requirements for coverage.
How to Apply for USAA Car Insurance?
You can apply for USAA car insurance online, by phone, or through the mobile app. You will need to provide some personal and vehicle information, such as your name, address, date of birth, social security number, driver’s license number, vehicle identification number (VIN), mileage, and usage. You will also need to choose your coverage options, deductibles, and discounts. After you submit your application, you will receive a quote for your policy. You can compare different quotes and adjust your coverage options until you find the best one for you. Once you accept the quote, you can pay your premium and start your policy.
How to Cancel USAA Car Insurance Policy?
You can cancel your USAA car insurance policy at any time without any fees or penalties. You can cancel your policy online, by phone, or through the mobile app. You will need to provide your policy number and the date you want to cancel your policy. You may also need to provide proof of new insurance if you are switching to another insurer. You will receive a refund for any unused premium that you paid in advance.
Contact Information for USAA Car Insurance
If you have any questions or concerns about USAA car insurance, you can contact USAA through various channels. Here are some of the contact information for USAA car insurance:
- Website: https://www.usaa.com/
- Phone: 800-531-USAA (8722)
- Mail: USAA; 9800 Fredericksburg Road; San Antonio, TX 78288