If you have an Oscar health insurance plan and you want to cancel it, you may be wondering how to do it. Canceling your Oscar health insurance is not difficult, but there are some important factors to consider before you make your decision.
In this article, we will explain the steps to cancel your Oscar health insurance and the things you should know before you do so.
Steps to Cancel Your Oscar Health Insurance
To cancel your Oscar health insurance, you need to follow these steps:
- Call customer service. The first step is to call the Oscar customer service number at 1-855-672-2788. You can also find the number on your member ID card or on the Oscar website.
- Speak with a representative. When you call, you will be connected with a representative who will ask you some questions to verify your identity and your plan details. You will also be asked why you want to cancel your plan and if you have any feedback for Oscar.
- Provide necessary information. To process your cancellation request, you will need to provide some information, such as your name, date of birth, member ID number, plan name, and effective date of cancellation. You may also need to provide proof of other coverage if you are switching to a different health insurance plan.
- Request cancellation of plan and recurring payments. After you provide the necessary information, you can request the cancellation of your plan and any recurring payments that are linked to your account. You will receive a confirmation email or letter from Oscar once your cancellation is complete.
Important Factors to Consider When Cancelling Oscar Health Insurance
Before you cancel your Oscar health insurance, you should be aware of some important factors that may affect your coverage and your finances. Here are some of them:
- Existing coverage. If you cancel your Oscar health insurance, you will lose your coverage and benefits from the date of cancellation. This means that you will not be able to use your Oscar network providers, access your online account, or get any reimbursements for any medical expenses that occur after the cancellation date. You will also be responsible for paying any outstanding bills or claims that are related to your plan.
- Eligibility for special enrollment period. If you cancel your Oscar health insurance outside of the open enrollment period, which runs from November 1 to December 15 each year, you may not be able to enroll in another health insurance plan until the next open enrollment period, unless you qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP). A SEP is a time when you can enroll in a new plan or change your existing plan due to certain life events, such as losing your job, getting married, having a baby, moving to a new area, or becoming eligible for Medicaid or Medicare. You usually have 60 days from the date of the event to enroll in a new plan through a SEP.
- Deadline for cancellation. If you want to cancel your Oscar health insurance, you need to do it before the 15th of the month for your cancellation to take effect on the first day of the next month. For example, if you want to cancel your plan on June 1st, you need to request it by May 15th. If you request it after May 15th, your cancellation will take effect on July 1st.