Root Car Insurance provides legal auto and house insurance.
Major insurance rating companies say Root Insurance is financially sound and has a good customer satisfaction score.
Root Insurance’s prices are low since they’re dependent on driving.
Root Insurance employs a smartphone app to measure your speed, braking, turn speed, and mileage for a few weeks before providing a quotation. Root may provide cheaper rates than typical auto insurers that include age, gender, credit score, and vehicle type by only ensuring safe drivers.
About Root Car Insurance
Root Car Insurance was founded in 2015 as a startup that uses telematics technology to measure driving behavior and offer personalized rates based on how well you drive. Telematics is a method of collecting and analyzing data from your smartphone’s sensors, such as GPS, accelerometer, and gyroscope, to track your driving habits, such as speed, braking, cornering, and phone usage.
How Root Car Insurance Works?
To get a quote from Root Car Insurance, you need to download their app and take a test drive for a few weeks. The app will monitor your driving behavior and assign you a driving score. The higher your score, the lower your rate. After the test drive, you can choose a recommended plan or customize your own coverage levels and pay for your policy through the app.
Root Car Insurance offers the standard types of car insurance coverage, such as liability, collision, comprehensive, medical payments, personal injury protection, uninsured/underinsured motorist, and rental reimbursement. It also includes roadside assistance in every policy at no extra cost. You can adjust your coverage limits and deductibles according to your needs and budget.
Root Car Insurance is currently available in 30 states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and West Virginia. The company plans to expand to more states in the future.
Pros and Cons of Root Car Insurance
Root Car Insurance has some advantages and disadvantages that you should consider before signing up. Here are some of them:
- You can save money if you are a good driver. Root Car Insurance claims to offer up to 52% savings on average compared to other insurers.
- You can manage your policy easily through the app. You can file a claim, view your documents, make payments, and access roadside assistance with a few taps.
- You can earn rewards for referring friends. Root Car Insurance offers a referral program that gives you and your friends a $25 credit when they sign up and take a test drive.
- You may not qualify if you are a high-risk driver. Root Car Insurance does not cover drivers who have a history of accidents or violations or who drive certain types of vehicles.
- You may have to wait for a long time to get a quote. The test drive period can take anywhere from two to four weeks depending on how often you drive.
- You may not get the best customer service. Root Car Insurance has received mixed reviews from customers regarding their claims process and customer support.
Cost of Root Car Insurance
The cost of Root Car Insurance depends on several factors that affect your driving score and risk level. Some of these factors are:
- Your driving behavior. This is the most important factor that determines your rate. The app will measure how safely you drive by looking at your speed, braking, cornering, phone usage, time of day, and mileage.
- Your vehicle type. The make, model, year, and safety features of your car can affect your rate. Generally, newer and safer cars are cheaper to insure than older and riskier ones.
- Your personal information. Your age, gender, marital status, credit score, and education level can also influence your rate. However, Root Car Insurance claims to give less weight to these factors than other insurers do.
To give you an idea of how much Root Car Insurance costs in different scenarios, here are some examples of quotes from their website:
- A 25-year-old female driver in Ohio with a 2018 Honda Civic LX and a clean driving record can get a liability-only policy for $44 per month or a full coverage policy for $97 per month.
- A 35-year-old male driver in Texas with a 2015 Ford F-150 XLT and one speeding ticket can get a liability-only policy for $67 per month or a full coverage policy for $144 per month.
- A 45-year-old married couple in California with a 2020 Toyota Camry LE and a 2017 Toyota RAV4 LE and no accidents or violations can get a liability-only policy for $108 per month or a full coverage policy for $228 per month.
Conclusion: Root Car Insurance Legitimacy
Root Car Insurance is a legit car insurance company that uses telematics technology to offer personalized rates based on driving behavior.
It can be a good option for drivers who are confident in their driving skills and want to save money on their car insurance.
However, it may not be suitable for drivers who have a poor driving record, drive infrequently, or need immediate coverage.
Before deciding to switch to Root Car Insurance, you should compare quotes from different insurers and read customer reviews to find the best car insurance for your needs.